Thursday, June 16, 2011

A much-needed update

It's hard to believe it's been nearly one year since my last  post! I know I've been neglectful but I've been busy adjusting to a new job and balancing life as my kids' social lives expand. My summer calendar is already filling up, week by week.

I recently shared the link to this blog with someone and that prompted me to post. I mean, I don't want them to think I'm a slacker or anything! Only a handful of people are even aware that this blog exists. I know that defeats the purpose of a blog -- obviously I'm supposed to share my thoughts with the world, but for some reason I can't bring myself to spread the word about it. Maybe I could use that as a way to push myself to post more frequently. Hmmm...

Enough of that, let's talk hair. I am still mistreating my hair -- it is no different from when I had a perm. I really need a deep conditioner or something because my hair is so DRY. And this Houston heat has kicked in early this year (already hitting triple digits and it's only June) so that is not helping. In my new office it is cold all the time so I can't do wash-and-go styles like I've done in the past once the warm weather hits. Will have to do better about getting my hair the nutrition it needs.

Other than that, my hair has grown a lot. I am wearing a ponytail now (yay!) and that is my go-to style on most days because the twist-outs don't look right anymore. Because my hair has such a tight coil, it doesn't move...at all. So, try as I might, I always end up looking like I have a fro. My twist-outs look like I stuck my finger in an electrical outlet, even though I spend over an hour twisting it (because it has grown so much). That is a lot of time to invest in something that doesn't look like much when I'm finished. No thanks.

In other news, I was very proud of myself a few months ago when I had a formal event to attend and I got a natural hair style. It would've been easy to straighten my hair for the event but I opted to get my hair coiled and I received so many compliments! It was also nice to go to a salon and have someone else do my hair. I hadn't had that done since my chop. I didn't miss sitting under the hair dryer though.

That's pretty much all that happened while I was away. Now I need to determine how I'm going to wear my hair for the summer. Braids? Twists with extensions? I'm not sure what to do but I want it to last for a couple of months. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment