Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Big Chop

Ok, where was I? Oh yeah so I held on to my freestyle braids for as long as I could but finally, in late October it was time to let them go. Right before I had my hair braided, I put it in a ponytail, took a pair of scissors, and cut off about 3-4 inches of hair. I was afraid to take the braids out because I wasn't sure what my wack-job of a haircut would look like.

Once all of the braids were out I called my stylist. I considered going to a natural hair salon but didn't want to be charged an arm and a leg for a haircut. I also thought about going to a local haircutting place that could probably get me in and out quickly, but was afraid there wouldn't be a black stylist. A few years back I went to a beauty school to get my hair flatironed and...let's just say it wasn't a pleasant experience for me or the trembling girl who combed my hair as if it would break.

So anyway, I bravely told my stylist that I was ready for the BC, A.K.A. the Big Chop. The BC is when you cut off all of the relaxed hair so that all you have left is natural hair. Depending on how long you've been growing it out, your natural 'do can be a TWA (teeny-weeny afro) or longer. I was afraid of the TWA. Which is why I began shaking when I hung up the phone. Was I really ready for the BC? Could I rock a TWA? I went straight to YouTube to gather strength from the natural girls I'd been following, thanks to a tip from a member of Nappy Love Houston (more on this wonderful group later). I was resolved - the BC was for me. Now if only I could remain convinced of it for the next few hours. My stylist was going to see where she could work me in becuase it was late notice and a Saturday so I had to sit at home and wait on that call. It finally came around 8:30 that night and she wasn't going to be able to fit me in until Monday.

I'd wasted an entire day and was no closer to anything. I began to lose my nerve. Going natural seemed to not be in the cards. I made a call to my sister to see if she could at least get me looking presentable for church the next day. She threw me some twists up top and a roller set in the back, a perfect transition style. By Monday morning I was still bouncing back and forth on the chop. But once I sat in that chair and saw that I would have a decent amount of hair left, not as teeny of an afro as I expected, I was ok with letting it go. And as I heard those scissors snipping, I wasn't afraid, nor did I cry. I was always so attached to my hair and was known to cry from only getting it trimmed. Taking this step was like growing up, even though I'm married and have kids. It was like I was finally a big girl. (smile) The day was Monday, November 2, 2009.

My sister stopped by on her way from the gym and gave me an approving hug and smile. Her BC was in September 2009 and knowing that we were going through the journey together helped me a lot. After my failed attempt in 2008, I talked about being natural so much that she decided she wanted to do it, too. Once she chopped her hair, I knew there was no turning back. I would have to follow-through because I had someone to whom I was accountable.

I know that was a long story but that's pretty much how I got to where I am today. It's been two months and I haven't once regretted going natural. I was very afraid of how my coworkers and friends would react and it has been interesting but positive. I'll share my insights on that later...I have lots of topics I want to discuss but that's enough for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment