Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Network of Naturals

This past weekend I had the pleasure of attending two events that were dedicated to natural hair. I had a fantastic time and just wanted to share a few thoughts.

The Saturday afternoon event was hosted by my line sister Stephanie and her friend Amber. They decided to open up their home to friends who are natural. We spent a couple of hours swapping stories about why we decided to go natural, when we did the B.C. (if we did it) and some of the comments we've received because of our new look. Then we shared our daily hair regimin: products, styles, etc. And there ended up being a wonderful product swap because people brought products that didn't work for them and someone else got to take it home and give it a shot. I sampled about 7 different products on different sections of my head so my hair was probably looking pretty strange by the time it was all over!

There was only one young lady in attendance who is still holding on to the perm! She wants to go natural and has been transitioning for nearly 3 months but is still somewhat afraid to let go completely. I can totally understand that, and so could a lot of others so we were there to offer her support and guidance so that she can make the decision that's right for her. I walked away from that event with a handful of new friends...and a bottle of Uncle Funky's Curly Magic that I can't wait to try!

Later that night I attended the Nappy Love Houston Nappyversary event. Nappy Love Houston is a meetup group that I discovered back in October. Saturday's event was to celebrate the one-year anniversary of its inception. It was my first meetup since joining but through other happening I've had the opportunity to meet other members so I felt like I had "friends" there. Plus, my sister joined me! There were many vendors there showcasing their products -- everything from handmade jewelry to homemade natural soaps and mobile loc services! It was a great night of good conversation, prizes, food and fun.

I'm grateful for all of the resources, both businesses and individuals, that I've found since becoming natural! I plan to share them with you as we go along so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment